The University of Girona (UdG)
The UdG is a public institution devoted to excellence in teaching and research and to participate in the progress and development of society through the creation, transmission, diffusion and criticism of knowledge related to the sciences, technology, humanities, social sciences and arts. It is deeply rooted in Catalonia and Catalan culture and is one of the primary economic and cultural motors of the region. At the same time, it pursues a vocation of universality and openness to all traditions, and cultures. The University, located in the city of Girona, is a part of the Catalan Public University System.
The University of Girona is heir to the so-called Estudi General which was created in 1446 by Alphonse the Magnanimous, who granted Girona the privilege of awarding degrees in grammar, rhetoric, philosophy and theology, law and medicine. This academic initiative was entrusted to the municipal and Church syndics, but classes did not officially begin until 1572, in the building known today as Les Àligues, built to serve as the seat of the university.
Recently, in 1991, a decree of the Catalan Government created the new Universitat de Girona, a multidisciplinary reference point thanks to contributions from a rich variety of university cultures.
ERAM College due to the agreement between both institutions is today a part of The University of Girona.
The three campus
The Universitat de Girona has three separate campuses (Montilivi, Barri Vell and City Centre). The Montilivi campus is the newest, with emblematic buildings spread out over an open space; the Barri Vell campus, created through the restoration of historical buildings, is part of the historic heritage of the city; the City Centre campus is clustered around the former Normal School, restored and converted into a faculty and a school. At the very centre of Girona’s shopping district we find the building known as the Mercadal, seat of the UdG Foundation for Innovation and Training. A newly developed area at the University is occupied by the Science and Technology Park in the neighbourhood of la Creueta.
The "Barri Vell" campus is located in the historic city center in restored cultural heritage buildings, while the "Montilivi" campus and the "Science and Technology Park" are modern, contemporary installations focused on innovation. From its large study halls, libraries, cafeterias and sports facilities, to its modern language, publishing and employment services the UDG has a unique and lively university environment.